Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hot Weather Chores

Welcome back!  Go grab a beverage, settle in and let me tell ya what I have been up to!

After my last post (sorry it's been so long), we got a streak of extremely warm weather here in the pacific northwest.  In my home that only means one thing....time to do the chores that I dread.  Now my mom had a saying, if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.  It's spring so the weather can and will change extremely fast.   So hot sunny skies mean defrosting the upright freezer in the garage and the dreaded cleaning of the carpets.  Well, the freezer still isn't defrosted but that will happen down the road.  BUT I have to share my carpet cleaning success!

My DH had the house before we got together.  MEN....he thought WHITE carpets would look good.  So I have very beautiful Berber carpeting throughout the entire house.  Tile in the kitchen and entry (oh don't get me started on that) and linoleum in two very small bathrooms.  So of course any spill or crap that gets on the floor shows up like a sore thumb.  I have a Dyson that gets most of it up but having pets, a DH with greasy shoes and every day crud has my carpet looking beige most of the time.  It finally got to the point, I HAD TO CLEAN!!!

I drug out the Hoover carpet cleaner (this has saved my bacon many times) and started looking for my recipe for the carpet cleaning solution.  I couldn't find it.  I finally had to call Greg our insurance agent (long story) and got the recipe.  This is what I want to share with you.  HOMEMADE CARPET CLEANING SOLUTION.  (make sure you try it somewhere hidden just in case but I think you will be pleased)  In the water reservoir, fill it with hot as you can get it water and them add:


  • 1/4 CUP TIDE 'H/E' LAUNDRY DETERGENT ('h/e' so it doesn't have many suds)
  • 1 TABLESPOON OF OXY CLEAN
  • 1 TABLESPOON OF FREBREZ (i like the smell it gives the house and it lasts)
Then all you have to do is clean your carpets!  I have used this for the past few years and I am dumbfounded by the amount of crud that comes out.  It looks like I have brand new carpets!!!  And as an added bonus, the house smells fantastic.  Nice and fresh.  So, give it a try and let me know if it works for you  (i just can't see spending money on carpet cleaning solution when I can by more paper crafting goodies with what I save).

I hope that you all have bright blessings and maybe save some money!

Jana

2 comments:

  1. Jana, I really need to try this carpet solution. I want to freshen up my rugs for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, it really does a nice job. If you read on the oxy clean box, it has a recipe for a spot remover also. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete